Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Catch 22 at University of Washington

Washington State has an incredible program in which many people may audit courses at (most) State Colleges for free.  Of course no credit is given, and there are reasonable restrictions.

After making multiple calls and emails with State Government, no one was able to tell me which schools were involved.

(the above was a bit of history...a little amuse bouche, as it were.)

I went to the University of Washington Web Site about the Tuition Exemption program.  As I read more, it led me to pages which included classes.  But I couldn't see any information about the details unless I logged in.  I don't understand why, but...

Logging in required a UW Net ID.  As I've never had one, I selected the option to get one.  The selections included State Employees, current students and multiple other categories.  The closest one that would apply to a member of the public (merely trying to find out course information at this time) was to select "Prospective Applicant."

Selecting Prospective Applicant, I was required to supply a Private Access code.  It also provided a number for the IT Department.  Calling the IT Department, I explained the situation and was asked what my UW Net ID was.  I once again stated I was trying to get one.  She asked if I used to have one.

She referred me to Admissions.  All information was divided into Freshman, Transfer, International or PostBac.

So their own site about Tuition Reimbursement referred me to look up course information that required IDs.  Then there seems to be no way to get an ID, other than apply as a student?  (Damn, I hope I don't have to retake my SATs and fill out the damn essays again!)

So using GOOGLE search, I found another page.  It says I have to apply as a Non-Matriculated student.  That costs $60.  But I'm not even sure IF I want to attend these classes until I can read more about them.  They seem to have restrictions, but I can't find out.

So I pay $60 to read a course catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Thanks for your comment. To avoid flaming and subject drift, all comments are reviewed.